For years ARC has had the custom of a workday to work on the range, and to clean up around the range. This workday is always the first Saturday of each month from 8am to 12 noon. Ranges A through E are closed from 8am to noon.
The workday has shown to be a good way for existing and new members to meet and get to know other member, both existing and new members. It also shows prospective new members what is all involved in making the range run.
Effective August 1st, 2017, any new member who joins ARC will be required to work 3 workdays during their 6 month probation. Failure to complete the workdays will result in the probationary member not becoming a member at the end of the probation period. The Director of Maintenance will submit a list of prospective new members who have successfully completed their work days to the full Board of Directors to determine those who move from probation to a full member.
If a new member can absolutely not make it to the Saturday workdays, they may see if the Director of Maintenance can work out a time they will be at the range and the new member can come out and work. This is according to the Director’s schedule, not the applicant’s schedule.
There are 7 steps to getting you registered for Austin Rifle Club
STEP 1. Go to the Texas DPS Online background check website.
(You do not have to complete this step if you hold a valid Texas CHL)
- Go to the Texas DPS site at: http://records.txdps.state.tx.us
- Click on ‘Criminal History Conviction Search’
- Click on ‘Purchase Credits’
- Click on ‘New User Sign up’
- Select ‘Criminal History Search’ then ‘Begin’ and follow instructions to purchase 1 credit
- Note: Select the ‘I am an Individual’ box and use ‘Private Email Address’ Option
- After setting up your account purchase 1 credit (cost is less than $4.00)
- Click on ‘Search Individuals’
- Enter Information as it appears on your driver’s license, and click continue.
- The system will search and return to you a report of any infractions on your record, or a report which says No Matching Records.
- Print off this report and bring it with you along with your membership form to Range Orientation class.
STEP 2. Contact an Evaluator for the Personal Safety Evaluation
- When applying for membership you first need to attend a Prospect Safety Evaluation. Click here for a PDF for how to get arrange a safety evaluation.
- The signed “Safety Evaluation” must be presented to the instructor at Range Orientations Class or your application will be disqualified.
- If you do not have the approved form you may reschedule for a later Range Orientation Class.No applications for membership at Range Orientation
- Class will be accepted without an approved Safety Evaluation Form signed and dated by your prospect Safety Evaluation instructor.
STEP 3. Complete Application and Waiver agreements
- Please reference the Application by clicking here. Bring completed application to Orientation Class.
STEP 4. Complete the Range Orientation Class
- After successfully completing a Prospect Safety Evaluation you must attend a Range Orientation Class held by Austin Rifle Club.
- This is held on the 1st Sunday of each month at 2pm at the A.R.C. Education Building, and usually takes about 2 ½ hours.
- Check our online calendar for start time.
- The Range Orientation Class is where you begin the new member application process.
- The Education Building has its own gate about 1000 feet (.2 mi) west of the main range gate and up the hill.
- BRING WITH YOU the completed application, the DPS background check or CHL, your identification.
- Applicants are exempt from the background check if they possess a valid CHL or are currently a sworn Law Enforcement Officer. Show proof to the Range Orientation Class instructor and he/she will endorse the application. You should obtain this before coming to Range Orientation Class as it hastens the process.