The workday is a good way for existing and new members to meet and get to know other member, both existing and new members. It also shows prospective new members what is all involved in making the range run.
Effective August 1st, 2017, any new member who joins ARC will be required to work 3 workdays during their 6 month probation. Failure to complete the workdays will result in the probationary member not becoming a member at the end of the probation period. The Director of Maintenance will submit a list of prospective new members who have successfully completed their work days to the full Board of Directors to determine those who move from probation to a full member.
If a new member can absolutely not make it to the Saturday workdays, they may work with the Director of Maintenance to work on other alternatives. This is according to the Director’s schedule, not the applicant’s schedule.
There are 7 steps to getting you registered for Austin Rifle Club
STEP 1. Go to the Texas DPS Online background check website.
(You do not have to complete this step if you hold a valid Texas LTC)
- Go to the Texas DPS site at: http://records.txdps.state.tx.us
- Click on 'Criminal History Conviction Search'
- Click on 'Purchase Credits'
- Click on 'New User Sign up'
- Select 'Criminal History Search' then 'Begin' and follow instructions to purchase 1 credit
- Note: Select the 'I am an Individual' box and use 'Private Email Address' Option
- After setting up your account purchase 1 credit (cost is less than $4.00)
- Click on 'Search Individuals'
- Enter Information as it appears on your driver's license, and click continue.
- The system will search and return to you a report of any infractions on your record, or a report which says No Matching Records.
- Print off this report and bring it with you along with your membership form to Range Orientation class.
STEP 2. Complete a Personal Safety Evaluation
- When applying for membership you first need to complete a Prospect Safety Evaluation. We often hold these just before the orientation class.
- The "Safety Evaluation" form will be provided at the safety evaluation and will be submitted with your application.
- Your participation in two local shooting matches (ARC matches or held by ARC partners) for which you have sign offs, may fulfill this requirement. You can request this form at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 3. Complete Application and Waiver agreements
- Please download the Application. Bring completed application to Orientation Class.
STEP 4. Complete the Range Orientation Class
- After successfully completing a Prospect Safety Evaluation you must attend a Range Orientation Class held by Austin Rifle Club. CHECK THE ONLINE CALENDAR FOR THAT DATE FOR SPECIFICS.
- This is held on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm at the A.R.C. Education Building, and usually takes about 2 hours.
- Check our online calendar for start time.
- The Range Orientation Class is where you begin the new member application process.
- The Education Building has its own gate about 1000 feet (.2 mi) west of the main range gate and up the hill.
- BRING WITH YOU the completed application, the DPS background check or CHL, your identification.
- Applicants are exempt from the background check if they possess a valid CHL or are currently a sworn Law Enforcement Officer. Show proof to the Range Orientation Class instructor and he/she will endorse the application. You should obtain this before coming to Range Orientation Class as it hastens the process.