There are 7 steps to getting you registered for Austin Rifle Club
STEP 1. Go to the Texas DPS Online background check website.
(You do not have to complete this step if you hold a valid Texas CHL)
- Go to the Texas DPS site at: http://records.txdps.state.tx.us
- Click on 'Criminal History Conviction Search'
- Click on 'Purchase Credits'
- Click on 'New User Sign up'
- Select 'Criminal History Search' then 'Begin' and follow instructions to purchase 1 credit
- Note: Select the 'I am an Individual' box and use 'Private Email Address' Option
- After setting up your account purchase 1 credit (cost is less than $4.00)
- Click on 'Search Individuals'
- Enter Information as it appears on your driver's license, and click continue.
- The system will search and return to you a report of any infractions on your record, or a report which says No Matching Records.
- Print off this report and bring it with you along with your membership form to Range Orientation class.
STEP 2. Complete a Personal Safety Evaluation
- When applying for membership you first need to complete a Prospect Safety Evaluation. Click here for a PDF for how to complete a safety evaluation.
- The signed "Safety Evaluation" form must be presented to the instructor at Range Orientations Class or your application will be disqualified.
- Your participation in two local shooting matches (ARC matches or held by ARC partners) for which you have sign offs, may fulfill this requirement. Contact the safety team in the linked document above for details.
STEP 3. Complete Application and Waiver agreements
- Please download the Application. Bring completed application to Orientation Class.
STEP 4. Complete the Range Orientation Class
- After successfully completing a Prospect Safety Evaluation you must attend a Range Orientation Class held by Austin Rifle Club. You do not need to sign up.
- This is held on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm at the A.R.C. Education Building, and usually takes about 2 hours.
- Check our online calendar for start time.
- The Range Orientation Class is where you begin the new member application process.
- The Education Building has its own gate about 1000 feet (.2 mi) west of the main range gate and up the hill.
- BRING WITH YOU the completed application, the DPS background check or CHL, your identification.
- Applicants are exempt from the background check if they possess a valid CHL or are currently a sworn Law Enforcement Officer. Show proof to the Range Orientation Class instructor and he/she will endorse the application. You should obtain this before coming to Range Orientation Class as it hastens the process.