Austin Rifle Club, Inc.
Our Membership process has changed! Please review this section carefully.
Step 1: When applying for membership you first need to attend a Prospect Safety Evaluation. The signed "Safety Evaluation" must be presented to the Instructor at Range Orientation class or your application will be disqualified. If you do not have the approved form you may reschedule for a later Range Orientation class. No applications for membership at Range Orientation class will be accepted without an approved Safety Evaluation Form signed and dated by your Prospect Safety Evaluation instructor.
These evaluations are conducted on a one-on-one basis by a qualified Range Safety Officer (RSO). The Safety Evaluation for prospective members includes a live fire proficiency demonstration of your safe gun handling and is held on the range at ARC. The entire process takes approximately 30 minutes. Prospective members of ARC must demonstrate they can handle firearms and use the range safely by themselves and in the presence of others. If your initial assessment is found to be unacceptable, then we will refer you to ARC endorsed instructors available in the area. You are welcome to re-take the assessment at a later date.
Please contact any RSO from the list below to arrange for a time for your safety evaluation. Select an RSO and click 'Email Instructor' to see contact information and to send an email.
2. After successful completion of the Prospect Safety Evaluation you must attend the ARC Range Orientation class . This is held on the 1st Sunday of each month in the ARC Education Building, and usually takes about 2 to 3 hours. Please check the calendar for start time.
To register for a Range Orientation class click here, or click on the class date on our calendar and then click 'Register'. A new member application for membership will be sent to you as an attachment to the Range Orientation class confirmation email.
The Education Building is the white building at the top of the hill. The gate in front of the education building is open for Range Orientation classes. Please use this entrance for Range Orientation class.
3. Bring your completion certificate from the Prospect Safety Evaluation with you to the Range Orientation class.
4. You must have a background check performed by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Criminal Records Service. This may be done in person at 108 Denson, Austin Texas, or online at: http://records.txdps.state.tx.us You are exempt from the background check if you have a valid Texas CHL or are currently a sworn Law Enforcement Officer. Show proof to the Orientation Instructor and he/she will endorse the application. You should obtain this before coming to Range Orientation class as it hastens the process.
5. Enclose your background check confirmation from DPS with the application and appropriate dues and leave the package with the Range Orientation class instructor who will forward the package to the Director of Memberships. If your membership package is incomplete, you may complete it later and then mail it to:
Austin Rifle Club, Inc.
PO Box 141399
Austin TX 78714-1399
6. The application is reviewed by the Director of Membership for completeness and accuracy.
7. All new members spend their first 6 months in a probationary period during which time they are required to volunteer to assist in a minimum of three club events such as helping out on our monthly work day. During this period the new member has full use of the range but no voting rights.
8. Once the probationary requirements are met, the probationary member shall attend the next General Membership meeting to be voted in and become a full member of the Austin Rifle Club.